13 HISTORICAL AND ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES
Cattedrale (Beata Assunta o Chiesa Madre)
During the Norman period, in 1060, Troina was chosen by Count Ruggero for the conquest of the island as a stronghold in the mountains dominating the vast valleys surrounding. The town conserves, in the square Conte Ruggero, a Norman tower, rebuilt or completed in the fifteenth century. The tower is the actual bell tower of the Mother Church dedicated to the Most Holy Assumption. The construction, which underwent three deep renovations in the late 1950s, in the late baroque age and around 1927, nowadays has little of the beautiful original building built by the Normans. The church inside is a real museum and holds gold and silver. Most valuable works are the seal and the abbey cake.
Oratorio dei Bianchi
Located in the premises below the Mother Church, in the narrow Street Urban II, was granted to the Archconfraternity of the Bianchi towards the end of the sixteenth century. This is where Urban II celebrated Mass in 1088 when he visited Troina.
Chiesa di San Giorgio
Along with the bell tower of the Cathedral, the church was the Chapel of the Benedictine Monastery of St. George, now no longer existing. The Norman Lion, an important 12th century sculpture in white limestone, saved from the 1949 demolition of three oval arches, is today on the ground floor of the Municipal Palace. The interior is monochromed, has a vaulted ceiling and a floor in polychrome marble.
Chiesa di San Biagio
Located in the Scalforio district, it preserves the original medieval structure of a Gothic arch in the prospect. The church is accessed by a lateral portico, while inside are preserved oil paintings of the nineteenth century. In 1889 the church underwent a profound restoration.
TORRE CAPITANIA O REGGIO CASTELLO sec. XII rimaneggiata nei secoli XV e XIX
Troina, the first Norman capital of Sicily, is a delightful ancient village capable of offering high-level cultural events.
Many important exhibitions and important cultural events are housed inside the Torre Capitania, an impressive historic building overlooking the Via Ruggero Street. Capitania Tower was the central tower of the ancient castle and was the seat of the Captain of Justice, who in medieval times and centuries between the Middle Ages and the Modern Age represented central power and administered criminal justice. Today it hosts important exhibitions and cultural events.
resti della città ellenistica-romana e fortificazione muraria
The archaeological sites of Troina are grouped in: Mount Mugana, Picasso San Pantheon and Mount Troina.
On Mount Mugana, traces of human settlements dating back to the Neolithic Age and the necropolis, still visitable, testify to the prehistoric origins of the city.
Troina still retains the ruins of the Hellenistic-Roman city and the ruins of an impressive megalithic block wall dating from the 4th century. B.C. – III a.C. Come and visit the archaeological area where you can still find the signs of the presence of these ancient civilizations.
Convento di San Michele Nuovo
The San Michele Monastery “The New” was built in the area of a Hellenistic necropolis around 1750. It possessed a rich library and an antiquarium guarding archaeological finds from excavations for foundations. In 1866 it was abolished and abandoned, the books went missing, the church and the monastery became a stone quarry.
Convento di San Michele Vecchio
It was one of the most famous basilic monasteries built in Sicily. It was built and dedicated to San Michele in 1080 in thanksgiving for the victory over the Saracens. Here lived St. Silvestro civis et patronus of Troina. The building was abandoned by the monks after the first half of the eighteenth century following the transfer to the new and largest monastery of San Michele.
Croce della Timpa
Sixteenth century column from the Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel Old.
Chiesa di San Nicolò
Located in the heart of the Scalforio district (the term probably comes from extra forums and alludes to the outskirts of the fortified citadel), dating back to the medieval period, the mononavata building has a bell tower with a subway, almost certainly one of the doors of access to the Norman citadel (the San Nicolò Gate). Characteristic is the Scalforio arch, an example of closing system in the lower part of the city.
Of great interest are the main altar and the four sides dating back to the 18th century. It also holds four canvas oil paintings, a wooden crucifix of the same period and a recent sculpture (the Easter Madonna).
Chiesa di Santa Lucia
Located in the homonymous neighborhood, on the west side of the Norman citadel, the church dates back to medieval times. The southern wall is a propagation of the fortified citadel. Inside the church there are two paintings of the seventeenth century, St. Francis and San Silvestro, and the superb wooden statue of the Risen Christ (1731). Near St. Lucia Square stood one of the four access doors to the Fortified Citadel (Ram Gate).
Convento e Chiesa di Sant’Agostino
It is located north of the village of Troina on a plateau called the St. Peter’s Plan, probably because in the past there was a church dedicated to the saints Peter and Paul.
The church of Sant’Agostino has an octagonal plan dating back to the 18th century. The Neoclassical Architectural Two-Layered Prospect has parquets, frames and other elements of local sandstone decoration.
In the sacristy of the church there is a tombstone revealing the presence of a cemetery crypt. Inside, the church houses an oil painting on San Nicola da Tolentino’s canvas in the first half of the nineteenth century and three canvases signed by Salvatore Infantino (1841).
The church preserves the fountain of San Silvestro (1736), a Sicilian masterpiece of Baroque sculpture. The structure, in silver and bronze, is shaped like a temple with arches and columns. On each side there are silver medallions depicting the most important moments of the life of the saint. Visible are the coats of arms of the most influential Troin families that contributed economically to its realization.
Chiesa di San Silvestro
It was built to accommodate the monks of the Cenobio of Sant’Elia thanks to the devotion of large sums by devotees.
The church collapsed during the earthquake of 1693. In 1801, under Ferdinand IV, it was reworked as evidenced by a plaque and a maple placed on the arch within the church. The temple has a three-nave basilica structure. It houses the white marble statue of San Silvestro, referring to the Gagini school, topped by a canopy, placed in the chapel of the saint to the left of the transept. The chapel, built on the lively rock, would correspond, according to the hagiographic tradition, to the tomb of the saint.